Position: PowerShift BC Coordinator
Location: Victoria or Vancouver BC
Salary rate: $17/hr, 30hrs/week (hours increasing closer to PowerShift)
Duration: 18 Weeks
Closing date for applications: Rolling until hired
Start date: ASAP
In October 2009 and 2012, hundreds of youth came together in Ottawa, ON for PowerShift Canada. These historic gatherings were the largest of their kind in Canada, and set the tone for the growth of the youth climate movement in Canada. Now we’re taking PowerShift regional!
As part of a global movement, PowerShift is a 5 day event from October 3-7th in Victoria BC (with events in Vancouver on the 3rd) that will bring together hundreds of youth for trainings, mobilization and movement building. We are currently looking for a coordinator to work with the PowerShift organizing committee and working groups to make this happen.
The PowerShift Coordinator will work with the advisory committee, working groups, the core team of PowerShift, as well as volunteers to ensure that PowerShift reaches its goals. They will work to coordinate meetings, activities and more in a dynamic, multi-stakeholder organizing initiative that includes individuals and organizations. They will also work with staff to ensure that funding is secured and allocated properly, as well as working to develop volunteer recruitment and management plans. The exact roles and responsibilities will be dynamic and growing, constantly changing dependent on the development of PowerShift.
Your responsibilities include:
• Organizing and facilitating PowerShift Advisory Committee Conference Calls
• Overseeing and supporting the creation and work of all PowerShift working groups
• Representing PowerShift/the CYCC in external meetings
• Facilitating the development and implementation of PowerShift activities
• Plan, lead and coordinate local activities.
• Recruit volunteers and work with volunteer/core team leaders to oversee and develop volunteer strategies
• Fundraising and coordination with Budget/Fundraising team to ensure financial goals are met
• Oversee development of all PowerShift materials
• Web site and social media group regular updates.
• Responsible for regular work planning including submission of regular reports to the Advisory Committee. Participate in all meetings required.
• Other responsibilities as required
Excellent leadership skills
Excellent organizational, strategic planning, and time management skills
Excellent facilitation skills
• Proven skills in recruiting, engaging and organizing volunteers
• Experience in volunteer management; good understanding of group dynamics
• Experience working with youth between the ages of 15-30
• Strong communications skills, both verbal and written in French and English
• Experience in public speaking
• Ability to be an articulate, informed, and motivational
representative for PowerShift
• Proven judgement ,analytical and time management skills;
• Proven fundraising skills
• Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills, good networking abilities;
• Ability to work on a team as well as independently;
• Extremely well-organized and able to meet deadlines and juggle
multiple projects at one time in a fast-paced work environment;
• Word processing and computer skills;
• Good knowledge of web-based social networks and new media
• A demonstrated commitment to climate justice
• The ability to work evenings and weekends on occasion
PowerShift/the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourages
Indigenous/First Nations People, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, transgendered/gender-variant people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply.
We encourage applicants to describe in their cover letter the contributions and experiences they as individuals who identify with marginalized communities, would bring to PowerShift.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com